The library is an historic property within the Conservation Area of St Ives. The works included significantly remodelling the access and circulation within the building and removal of incongruent 1970’s additions.
Built in 1906, the building was altered to achieve universal access to most areas including a new level main entrance and installing a platform lift. Other enhancements involved improving the internet accessibility, replacing the heating system, new lighting and new furniture all making the spaces fit for modern uses.
The Barbara Hepworth sculpture, ‘Wave Form’ 1951, is set in the entrance foyer and informed the space around it.