The project involved the renovation and improvement of the island's existing community hall dating back to the 1820’s, while creating a sensitive major extension providing start-up workspaces, offices, exhibition space and flexible community facilities. PBWC Architects were involved in the evolution of the project since it's inception in 2010, establishing a dialogue with the local community on the island of St Agnes.
The building has been designed with a huge amount of consultation and input from islanders and visitors alike. PBWC Architects were keen to engage with the passion and commitment of the Island Hall committee members, which allowed the design process to respond to a wide range of uses. The scheme provides a place for working and ultimately has become a true social and economic hub of Island life.
St Agnes’ location, 25 miles off the Cornish coast, strongly affected the choice of construction techniques as virtually all building materials have to be shipped across from the mainland. The whole building frame was raised by hand, with the help of a maniscopic, winches and some expert rigging.
The design utilises sustainable, low carbon design techniques based on Passivhaus and BREEAM principles to ensure a sustainable build in keeping with the island’s ethos of self-sufficiency and low-impact architecture.